The Wingellina community
Wingellina is located 12 kilometres from Surveyor General's Corner, the map-point where the boundaries of South Australia, Northern Territory and Western Australia meet.
Some 150 Yarnangu people live at Wingellina, also known by the name of a nearby rock hole, Irrunytju. It lies between two cultural zones – the Ngaanyatjarra and the Pitjantjatjarra Lands.
Wingellina began in the 1950’s after Yarnangu people began to congregate around the nearby mining camps. Numbers grew during the 1970s around a Chrysoprase mine that operated for a few years.
Today the miners have returned. A large deposit of oxide nickel was identified by various companies which are actively exploring options to determine if extraction is economically feasible given the remoteness of this region.
Wingellina became an incorporated community in 1976 and has been a member of Ngaanyatjarra Council since its inception in 1981.
Services in our community
Wingellina has its own Community Resource Centre, airstrip, school, hall, art centre, clinic, office and store. The community is also home to NG Media.
Our campus facilities
The school has an administration block, two classrooms and an early childhood room, manual arts room, library, kitchen/home economics room, sports store room and gardener’s shed.
Currently enrolments fluctuate between 24 and 31 students. There is a K-3 class and a years 4-10 class.
Wingellina is staffed with a campus principal, two teachers and three part-time AIEOs.
The school manages a home to school transition program. The day commences with breakfast and showers followed by a structured fitness program. Wingellina has a special relationship with Pipalyatjara Anangu School across the border in South Australia. During the year students from Wingellina travel to Pip to use the pool for swimming lessons and swimming carnivals.